Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Soon you will have a Superman suit


OK, so maybe it's just me, but I think we are coming close to making a suit that can turn you or me into Superman.  I recently came across two videos that prove my point.  First was an awesome flying video of a fellow named Yves Rossy, better known as "Jetman", who straps a wing with jets onto his back and flies around.  Sure, it would be even more awesome if the controls allowed him to put his arms out in front of him, Superman style, as he flew.  Still, it is the closest thing I've seen so far to Superman-style flying.


Next, I saw the exoskeleton called the Titan Arm, created by the young engineers from the University of Pennsylvania who won this year's James Dyson award.  It allows you to lift more weight and generally augment your movements.  This video explains the system.



So, the way I see it, with these two different systems you can become stronger and fly, just like the man of steel. How far away can the Superman suit be?  So here is the challenge to all of you out there.  How do we combine these two?  How can your jetpack wings transform into an exoskeleton to help you lift heavy stuff while you are on the ground?  I'm pretty sure that is all you would need to be able to swoop in, save Lois Lane and then fly off.  As soon as you remove the suit, you are Clark Kent again.  A suit for the superhero in all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment